Thursday, December 24, 2009

Playlist: Christmas


[Playlist is an attempt to distill my favorite artists to 80-minute compilations. If someone asked me to burn them a mix of one of the bands featured here, I would give them this collection. Today, we celebrate Christmas 2009, which means listening to New Found Glory... FOREVER!]

Welp, it's Christmas Eve. My parent blog Saturday Night Crap-O-Rama has been reviewing awful/cult Christmas movies all week. The clientele at my grocery store has gotten noticeably more crotchety/confused. Christmas songs have started to grind my (g)ears. Grind them!

But I'm not one of those people who just hates Christmas tunes across the board. Sure, I'm a terrible Catholic, and my last few Christmases have been a little... shall we say... traumatic. But dang it, I'm still trying to find the goodness in it. The love. The wonder. The free hooch. This year, my girlfriend and I made an effort to take back Christmas.

In retrospect, we didn't do a whole lot. We watched a couple Christmas movies. We decorated our own tree. And we thought about the people we love. Oh, and we shoveled snow. Curse you, snow! Once I finished school, you turned into an awful layabout, reeking of inconvenience! But, in spite of how stressful our jobs got, I still had a good time. And I listened to a some good tunes. You can see a few of them below. For the record, I like enough Christmas songs that I actually had to cut some of them from this playlist. Noticeably absent: Sting's "Soul Cake," but that's because that song sucks, blow, and is not good. My girlfriend wasn't too into the first half of the mix - something about how Third Eye Blind is bad or some other stupid bunk she was making up - but I super-dig it. Merry Happy, er'rybody.

Christmas
1. New Found Glory - "Ex-Miss," Atticus... Dragging the Lake [THIS IS THE BEST CHRISTMAS SONG EVER.]
2. No Doubt - "Oi to the World," Everything in Time
3. The Kinks - "Father Christmas," Come Dancing With the Kinks [OK, this is the second best Christmas song ever.]
4. The Ramones - "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)," Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology
5. Allister - "Scottie For X-Mas," online [Allister gave this away online one year, circa 2002 or 2003. I can't find it anywhere now, and there are so many variations on the title on Last.fm that I might have it tagged wrong.]
6. Atom and His Package - "What We Do on Christmas," Making Love [For our hypothetical Jewish readers! Also, I think this song is hi-larious.]
7. The Eels - "Christmas is Going to the Dogs," The OC: Mix 3 - Have A Very Merry Chrismukkah
8. John Lennon - "Happy Christmas (War is Over)," Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon
9. Kermit the Frog - "One More Sleep 'Til Christmas," Muppet Show: Music, Mayehm & More!
10. Third Eye Blind - "One of Those Christmas Days," live bootleg
11. The Long Winters - "Christmas With You is the Best," The OC: Mix 3 - Have A Very Merry Chrismukkah [Do I feel lame for copping so many feels off the same soundtrack? Yeah, but it's a good mix, dammit. This same CD also includes a solidBen Kweller track that I sadly had to leave off. It didn't keep me from putting the Raveonettes on, though.]
12. Meneguar - "Christmas isn't Christmas," I Was Born at Night
13. Weezer - "Christmas Celebration," Christmas CD
14. "Weird Al" Yankovic - "The Night Santa Went Crazy," Bad Hair Day [I enjoyed "Weird Al"'s recent performance with the Rifftrax crew, by the by, although I was a little bummed not to hear this song performed.]
15. The Bouncing Souls and Weston - "Do They Know It's Christmas?," split [This version is far superior to the Band Aid version, although it could use more Bono.]
16. Nirvana - "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam," MTV Unplugged in New York
17. The Premier - "The Island of Misfit Toys," online [Defunct Lansdale emo act that was huge in "the scene;" put on plenty of furiously awesome shows. In a weird way, I feel like the Premier was the Government Issue of Lansdale, in that a ton of people went through those respective line-ups. Nick Steinborn and Dan Campbell split the role of J. Robbins, in that one of them went on to be a fantastic sound engineer and the other quit playing bass to front a more popular band. THE CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAR.]
18. Jimmy Eat World - "12.23.95," Clarity
19. The Raveonettes - "The Christmas Song," The OC: Mix 3 - Have A Very Merry Chrismukkah [Actually, this might be the greatest Christmas song ever.]
20. Counting Crows - "A Long December," Recovering the Satellites
21. Something Corporate - "Forget December," Songs For Silent Movies
22. A Camp - "The Oddness of the Lord," A Camp
23. Julian Casablancas with Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, and The Roots - "I Wish It Was Christmas Today," live bootleg [I tried finding the original Saturday Night Live version to no avail, but got-damn do I love this song too much to leave it off.]
24. Thursday - "Jet Black New Year," Five Stories Falling [See what I did there? It ends with a New Year's Eve song. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.]

3 comments:

Beth said...

Like your Christmas tree. It was nice going through your blog.Something about an old-fashioned Christmas is hard to forget. Ihampers.co.uk

Nathan said...

When will the people get what they really want?

When will they get a Bear vs Shark playlist?

WHEN?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Blogger said...

If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you gotta watch this video
right away...

(VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER come back...