Friday, March 4, 2011

regarding the return of Versus.

It's been a while since I've done an installment in Versus, the feature that pits two of a band's best albums in a battle for supremacy. But I hear there's this thing in sports called "March Madness." Something about balls and points in large quantities. With that in mind, next week I'll be rolling out a special edition of Versus, a March Madness edition if you will. See, Versus generally works best when a band either has only a few albums (a la Bear vs. Shark), or can be broken up into two different eras as represented by two albums (Ozzy-era vs. Dio-era Black Sabbath). But some artists defy these guidelines.

For the next four weeks, I will present a tournament in which Bruce Springsteen's discography dukes it out. I'm only counting original content, so We Shall Overcome will be replaced with Tracks, arguably the best of Bruce's rarity compilations, while the remaining 15 slots go to his studio albums. My cousin Mike and I could never settle on which two Bruce albums best represented him overall. So... here's hoping I find an answer this month.

No comments: