Thursday, June 24, 2010

Playlist: Against Me!


[Against Me! month rolls ons with a new Playlist, an attempt to distill my favorite artists to 80-minute compilations and, hopefully, provide a gateway into their music.]


I did it. I finally did it. I took one of my favorite bands of all time and semi-successfully crafted a mix that showcases their entire discography. There are glaring omissions – no “Sink Florida Sink” or “Thrash Unreal” – but ultimately this mix contains songs from AM!’s entire run. Their folk-punk and alr-rock periods are both represented generously. And I included The Disco Before the Breakdown in its entirety.


The major label material is mostly grouped together. Those songs don’t really segue well with the older catalog, both in terms of song writing and audio quality, but I did what I could. “Thrash Unreal” got cut because I’m pretty sick of that song, but otherwise I think I picked the best from that period. Even White Crosses gets some love, and I don’t even like that album much.


One final note: I knew going into this that I was going to end the mix with either “8 Full Hours of Sleep” or “Searching For a Former Clarity.” Then at the last second I thought, “Wouldn’t it be funny if I closed it with ‘Impact?’”


So I did.


Behind the Wheel of Armageddon

  1. “We Did It All For Don,” “Acoustic EP”
  2. “T.S.R.” – As the Eternal Cowboy
  3. “Pints of Guinness Make You Strong,” Reinventing Axl Rose
  4. “Cliché Guevara,” As the Eternal Cowboy
  5. “Gypsy Panther,” “Stop!” single
  6. “Cavalier Eternal,” As the Eternal Cowboy
  7. “The Disco Before the Breakdown,” The Disco Before the Breakdown
  8. “New Wave,” New Wave
  9. “White People For Peace,” New Wave
  10. “So Much More,” “New Wave” single
  11. “You Must Be Willing,” “Thrash Unreal” single
  12. “Beginning in an Ending,” The Disco Before the Breakdown
  13. “Joy,” Searching For a Former Clarity
  14. “Baby, I’m an Anarchist!”, Reinventing Axl Rose
  15. “Even at Our Worst We’re Still Better Than Most (The Roller),” Searching For a Former Clarity
  16. “Because of the Shame,” White Crosses
  17. “Bamboo Bones,” White Crosses
  18. “Tonight We’re Gonna Give It 35%,” The Disco Before the Breakdown
  19. “Walking is Still Honest,” Reinventing Axl Rose
  20. “Problems,” Searching For a Former Clarity
  21. “The Ocean,” New Wave
  22. “We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules),” Reinventing Axl Rose
  23. “8 Full Hours of Sleep,” Reinventing Axl Rose
  24. “Searching For a Former Clarity,” Searching For a Former Clarity
  25. “Impact,” Crime, as Forgiven By

No comments: