Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vinyl Vednesday 2/24/10


[Vinyl Vednesday is a weekly feature about three favorite vinyl finds. It’s not meant to be a dick-measuring contest, but it kinda is. This week’s installment is Crime in Stereo-themed, in celebration of their new album I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone. As of this writing, I haven’t heard it yet, so it could suck for all I know, but at this moment, it’s my most anticipated album of 2010, along with Against Me!’s White Crosses. As always, e-mail pelonej1@gmail.com with your own big finds!]


Records: Crime in Stereo’s The Trouble Stateside (2006, although the album wasn’t released on vinyl until 2008) on white, Love (2007, although it’s actually the vinyl version of the 2005 EP The Contract) test pressing on black, and Crime in Stereo is Dead (2007… no really) on black with white bursts that look like stars (!!!).


Place of Purchase: Stateside was purchased at the band’s show with Fake Problems at the Moose Lodge in Doylestown (R.I.P.), although I can’t recall the date. It was before FP dropped It’s Great to Be Alive. I got Love when the band played a hardcore show at Villanova University – yeah, I don’t know how that happened either. Is Dead was obtained from an actual store – my beloved Repo Records.


Thoughts: I love Crime in Stereo. I’ve seen them a bunch of times in church basements and VFW halls… and one time at the Trocadero when they opened for H2O. My infatuation with them began when they played the Lansdale VFW back in 2006. Just to show how great the scene was “back in the day,” I pretty much only went to the show because I had nothing else to do that night, and the cover was like $6 or something. CiS’ live set was solid, so I picked up Stateside and, over time, grew to love its every line and lick. The band later jumped from Nitro Records to Bridge Nine, who gave Stateside the vinyl treatment. I just realized at the show I bought this at was the last time I saw the band live. They’re playing The Note in West Chester, Pa. this Thursday with The Menzingers.


Speaking of CiS shows, the Villanova show managed to be both super-crappy and super-awesome. My roommate Eric and I drove out to ’Nova to catch CiS and came away with two new terms/phrases: “Mook-core,” which we used to describe all of the chest-beating, machismo-leaden opening bands, and “Deal in Stereo,” because CiS had some great merch offers. Shirts were like $10. And they were selling test pressings of their new/old EP Love since the finished version hadn’t shipped yet. One of the band members was actually embarrassed about this, which I never understood. I scored an extremely limited pressing of a great EP, featuring the always welcome/hilarious “Long Song Titles Aren’t Cool Anymore Because the Rest of You Fuckers Are No Good at It.”


Is Dead was such a game-changing album in my eyes. When B9 sent me a promo CD of it, it rotated from my computer to my car stereo for like a week. As is my way, though, I wanted to get it on vinyl too, because clearly I have no plans for the future. Besides, I like B9’s vinyl. Dead looks and sounds beautiful, and the label didn’t go overboard with color variants. I hate when companies put out like 20 versions of the same album and makes 19 of them rare. It turns collecting into a chore. Anyway, Dead is the band’s finest moment (so far), combining hardcore with all types of melodic and ambient guitar textures, resulting in something moodier but still rocking. Just as the title hints, this is the sound of a whole new band.

No comments: