Thursday, July 16, 2009

regarding Bruce Springsteen covering Joe Strummer.


As previously blogged, Bruce Springsteen made his first Glastonbury Festival appearance this year. He opted to open with a cover of Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros' "Coma Girl." It's the first Mescaleros song I truly fell in love with, prompting me to explore Joe's post-Clash catalogue. I'm still doing that - I need to find a copy of the "Coma Girl" picture disc b/w a cover of Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop" STAT. For the time being, though, I'm going to enjoy this little gift from Springsteen, another songwriter and rocker who's shaped my life time and again. The recording consists of just Bruce on acoustic guitar and harmonica with accompaniment by saxophonist Clarence "Big Man" Clemons. The pair strips away the song's bravado a bit, but it's a solid interpretation, although I wish the harmonica came into play sooner. Still, though, it's Springsteen, one of the best rock and/or roll performers, playing one of the best songs by Strummer, one of the best punkers of all time.

I think I'm going to put on Global A Go-Go and enjoy some "ragga, bhangra, two-step tanga, mini-cab radio, music on the go" mixed with "Brit-pop, hip-hop, Lindy hop, Gaelic Heavy Metal fans, fighting in the road."

Also, seriously, did you click this link yet? Get into it!

No comments: