Sunday, August 16, 2009

regarding Avalon 2009


[So, I spent last week at the Jersey shore with my family. It was awesome, with plenty of beach time and even a trip to Shore Things, the best record store in the area (and only one left standing, preharps?). Anyway, I kept a journal. It's mostly just a log of the albums I listened to during my trip, because that's the sort of thing I enjoy doing. Honestly, you're better off reading the soon-to-be-published Tori Amos review.]

Playlist:
-A Camp - A Camp
-Against Me! - Americans Abroad!!! Against Me!!! Live in London!!!
-Against Me! - New Wave B-sides
-Tori Amos - The Beekeeper
-Avoid One Thing - Avoid One Thing
-Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
-Bloc Party - "Two More Years" single
-The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record
-The Bouncing Souls - The Good, the Bad, and the Argyle
-The Bouncing Souls - Hopeless Romantic
-The Bouncing Souls - How I Spent My Summer Vacation
-Bruno Coulais - Coraline soundtrack
-Cursive - Happy Hollow
-The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod
-Face to Face - Reactionary
-Fugazi - The Argument
-Fugazi - 13 Songs
-The Glove - Blue Sunshine [deluxe edition]
-Jawbox - My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents
-Kaki King - ...Until We Felt Red
-Ben Kweller - Ben Kweller
-Ladytron - Light & Magic
-Latterman - ...We Are Still Alive
-Less Than Jake - Borders & Boundaries
-Lifetime - Hello Bastards
-Lifetime - Jersey's Best Dancers
-Lifetime - Lifetime
-Lost City Angels - Broken World
-The Measure [Sa] - Songs About People... and Fruit 'N Shit
-The Mountain Goats - "Genesis 3:23"
-The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely
-My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
-New Found Glory - New Found Glory
-New Found Glory - Tip of the Iceberg EP
-Nine Inch Nails - Everyday is Exactly the Same EP
-Nirvana - From the Muddy Banks of Wishkah
-Nirvana - "Heart-Shaped Box" single
-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
-Pretty Girls Make Graves - Good Health
-The Promise Ring - Boys + Girls EP
-The Promise Ring - Electric Pink
-The Promise Ring - Very Emergency ["Jersey Shore" came on as we pulled up to our shore house. Some things don't have to be scripted.]
-Propagandhi - Less Talk, More Rock
-The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
-Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves
-The Rentals - It's Time to Come Home
-The Rentals - The Last Little Life EP
-The Rentals - Story of a Thousand Seasons
-Siouxsie and the Banshees - Greatest Hits
-Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
-St. Vincent - Actor
-Strike Anywhere - Change is a Sound
-Strike Anywhere - Dead FM
-Joe Stummer And The Mescaleros - Streetcore
-Texas Is the Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?
-Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major
-Weezer - "Blue Album" [Played this on the drive back. Michelle and I decided to just listen to Weezer for the rest of the drive and played a ton of singles, B-sides, and demos from '94-'02, plus...]
-Weezer - Pinkerton


After a good pee and a better tomato pie post-three hour drive, I was ready for vacation.

...Twenty minutes later, my dad and I got kicked out of the water by a woman claiming to be a lifeguard. I have my doubts. Then Michelle and I went for a sun-kissed walk.

I'm working on and off through a stack of books Michelle lent me. Right now I'm reading the City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology. It's pretentious.

From Rafael Alberti's "Homecoming of Love Amongst Illustrious Ruins":

"After we too, my love, are only ruins / Let us lie like these stones singing in the sun / Leading others to love along our vanished ways." I envy this kind of romanticism that makes death irrelevant but no less potent. It's a fine balance.

So, I'm trying to read Allen Ginsberg's "Howl," and all I can think about is how this guy needs a thesaurus for all his penis references. Surely he knows another word for "cock."

Fraggle Rock Uno, rock music, and my lover = some images shout love from every angle.

It's raining, which means it's time for My Bloody Valentine.


Green Cuisine is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've ever been to. The asparagus dill soup give me a food high, as do the myriad success this place accomplishes with avocados, bean sprouts, and other such hippie delights.

Peace-a-Pizza, meanwhile, took 45 minutes to deliver, overcharged us, and then shortchanged me. I got my money back, but the pizza sucked. The lesson: Fuck hippies. Then we got drunk and watched 30 Rock.

Went to a Farmer's Market in Stone Harbor. Not a whole lot of produce goin' on. Since we had some extra tie on the meter, we checked out some shops. We found some some really cool Halloween stuff at this one store. The Irish pride store had some great clothes, but they were way too expensive. I almost bought a Smithwick's shirt, I opted against it because:

A) I'm broke and should save money.
B) I have too many clothes anyway.
C) I'm afraid this is another step towards alcoholism.
[D) I'm typing this entry while drinking a Yuengling.]

Michelle says I'm a bad roommate on account of all the fumbling and/or stumbling I do when the lights go out. She forgave me after I fed her chocolate chip French toast from the Pudgie Pelican, though.

Michelle is crispy right now. We were supposed to make my parents dinner, but my dad pretty much took over.

Went to see G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra with my dad. It was about as good as a live action movie with Cobra Commander could be. My dad is a great film companion, because he always leans in when something important is foreshadowed, and then says, "That's important."


Wed. - Drove to Cape May to see Victorian houses and antiques and a really old firetruck. Michelle rocked her iPod on the way down, with a collection of tunes from Feist, Le Tigre, Justin Timberlake, M.I.A., and PJ Harvey. I played Bouncing Souls on the way back.


I finished Michelle's poetry book. It's a compelling argument for the importance of prose.

To OC from Avalon
L Avalon Blvd/619
N Garden State Parkway 11.3 m
Exit 25 - CR-623 toward Ocean City/Marmora 2 m
L Central Ave/619 2.6 m
R E. 10th st 0.3 m.

Went to Shore Things. Went buck wild on vinyl. They've really expanded their selection since the last time I was there. My haul:
-Static Radio NJ - An Evening of Bad Decisions (clear). The vinyl cover is significantly better than the CD one.
-Against Me! - The Original Cowboy (black)
-Bouncing Souls - 20th Anniversary Series Volume 2 (blue)
-Paint It Black - Amnesia (white)


And I bought Jawbox's self-titled album (with the "Cornflake Girl" cover!) on CD for Michelle, because everyone should love Jawbox.

When Joe Strummer's "Coma Girl" kicks in, I'm back on the beach with Tim and Christen and Chris. Five years down, and what have I accomplished? [Note: This entry is lame.]

Re-read the entire Cowboy Bebop manga set. It's been a while. Some of the stuff is extremely Japanese, like the humor with lady-boys. Not that we don't have trannies in the U.S., but Bebop sure handles the topic differently.

On the drive back, we put on Weezer's "Blue Album," and decided to just spin nothin' but Weerez the rest of the way.

No comments: