Friday, October 30, 2009

Playlist: Halloween, part 1


[Playlist is an attempt to distill my favorite artists to 80-minute compilations. If someone asked me to burn them a mix of the bands featured here, I would give them this collection. This week, Picasso Blue will be running Halloween-centric playlists. Here's one of two playlists meant for the Devil's Day of Candy 2009.]

Gosh dang it all I loves me some Halloween. A youth spent overindulging in candy (and throwing up on two consecutive Nov. 1s) was fairly delicious. Minus the vomit part. That was gross. High school found me skipping on the outdoor activities due to sickness/anti-social tendencies. I had gotten used to staying in and watching horror movies by myself by the time college kicked in, but my roommates had different ideas. Like trick-or-treating La Salle University's campus (which was more fruitful than you would think). I was going through some old photos of costumes passed, and I think the surest sign that my college years kicked ass is that I honestly don't know if any of these photos are from Halloween. Like this:


FUN FACT: Nicholas Charles Elmer, of Nickmongo.com world-renown, can kill a man in three power bombs or less.

This year, my girlfriend are trying to find a balance for Halloween: Give out candy to the youngins and watch a horror flick or two, then hit up a party for booze. Also, hopefully candy. Milky Ways are always appreciated, ya'll.

Why do I love Halloween? Is it because it's an excuse to listen to The Cure's complete discography? Or a chance to watch scary movies? Or perhaps because it's a celebration of all the things I thought were cool as a kid, namely vampires and werewolves and witches and S-A-T-A-N? I love holidays - Thanksgiving is consistently my favorite family gathering - but Halloween is back on top for me. Hey, any excuse to dress like a ghostbuster and shake it to The Head on the Door is welcome.

Halloween?!
1. The Simpsons - "George Caldron1," The Simpsons [I may have sprinkled this list with my favorite horror quotes.]
2. Michael Jackson - "Thriller," Thriller [Obvious? Yes, but in today's economy, somebody had to do it. And the video is still totes awesome.]
3. Tracy Jordan - "Werewolf Bar Mitzvah," 30 Rock [My goal is for my kids to grow up thinking this is a real, totally legit song. Which it is.]
4. "Faaaaather, come to freeeeeeeedoommmm," Prince of Darkness
5. Electric Six - "Devil Nights," Senor Smoke
6. Metric - "Monster Hospital," Live It Out
7. M83 - "Graveyard Girl," Saturdays = Youth
8. Nine Inch Nails - "Dead Souls," The Crow [One of two songs ripped from das Crow.]
9. Torgo - "I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the master is away," Manos: The Hands of Fate
10. Rob Zombie - "Dragula," Past, Present & Future
11. Face to Face - "The Devil You Know (God is a Man)," Ignorance is Bliss
12. The Mountain Goats - "Satanic Messiah," Satanic Messiah
13.PJ Harvey - "The Devil," White Chalk
14. Jason Segel - "Dracula's Lament," Forgetting Sarah Marshall [Soundtrack was such a good buy.]
15. Bela Lugosi - "The children of the night. What music they make...!", Dracula
16. The Cure - "Burn," The Crow
17. Bruno Coulais - "End Credits," Coraline
18. Creedence Clearwater Revival - "I Put a Spell On You," Chronicle, Vol. 1
19. Pearl Jam - "Satan's Bed," Vitalogy
20. Grandpa Simpson - "That doll is evil!", The Simpsons
21. X - "Devil Doll," More Fun in the New World
22. Flogging Molly - "Devil's Dance Floor," Swagger
23. Devils Brigade - "Vampire Girl," Give 'Em the Boot, Vol. 3
24. "They're coming to get your, Barbara," Night of the Living Dead
25. Rancid - "Ghost Band," Indestructible [If you told me back in 2003 that this was going to be one of the Rancid songs I sang the most, I would have called you a liar. But bad Rancid is sometimes just as good as good Rancid.]
26. Bouncing Souls - "Candy," The Good, The Bad, and The Argyle
27. AFI - "Halloween," All Hallows Ep
28. Leftover Crack - "Interlude," Mediocre Generica
29. Antsy Pants - "Vampire," Juno
30. The Simpsons - "More George Caldron jokes" [It all ties together!]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jelone...who let you play with such a big knife? Very pumpkin serial killer of you, lol.