Monday, May 24, 2010

regarding Ferris Wedding Weekend Drunktacular 2010.


[Over the weekend, my family and I attended the wedding of Ashley Ferris (my cousin) and Adam Ebling over yonder in New Jersey. It was a phenomenal wedding, filled with dancing and cake. Also, drankin'. I kept a journal, as I am wont to do. Look for regular music-y posts later in the week.]

Friday

Michelle and I left early to hit up Green Cuisine in Stone Harbor. It was out of the way, but it's one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've ever eaten at. Turns out they close at 2:30 during the off season, though, so we tasted only failure. We drove to Ocean City and ate at Angelo's on the boardwalk instead. Pizza always makes things better. Afterwards, we walked around the boardwalk. I used to walk the length of the walk in high school, and even perform music there. Now I just visit Shore Things and buy records.


The owner talked to me for too long about MC5 and New York Dolls. His taste is pretty right on, but I don't need someone else to tell me that '80s hair metal sucked. It's been 20 years; get over it. Still, I get Stevie Wonder's Talking Book (vinyl), Avail's Porch Life (CD), and a comp of Teen Idles, SOA, Government Issue, and Youth Brigade (vinyl) at reasonable prices. On the way back, we ran into Uncle Brian and Aunt Darla. It's been three years. By the end of the night, we're all drunk, except for Michelle.

Saturday

The wedding was perfect. Ashley looked beautiful; Adam looked nervous. I've only met him a few times, but I can honestly say he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. And he's cool with homoerotic humor! The ceremony itself was brief. Maybe 15 minutes. But it was nice and romantic and efficient. Stealthily, murderously efficient.

The real star of the wedding, though, was my Uncle Tom (Ashley's father). He's an ex-Marine. Very serious guy, direct conversational style. A man's man. He dyed his hair for the wedding - I didn't recognize him at first. He can dance. Tom and my Aunt Jenny were the best dancers. For the father-daughter dance, he showed Ashley all the big band moves for maximum comedic effect. He had a such a big smile the whole time.


Ashley and Adam's dance was great too. First they slow-danced to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," then they busted out an exhuberant hoedown maneuver for Barry Louis Parker's "All I Want is You" (from Juno!). I think that every relationship needs that - a little bit of sweetness, a whole lot of silliness.

We all got hammered and danced. I hung out with family members I haven't seen in maybe five or six years. Later that night, Spike TV hosted a Star Wars marathon (original trilogy, remastered). I think I can finally let go of The Phantom Menace. The world is an alright place.

Sunday

WE ATE GREEN CUISINE FTW!

Playlist
-Tori Amos - Under the Pink
-Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life
-Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
-The Bouncing Souls - The Bouncing Souls
-Green Day - Nimrod
-Kylesa - Time Will Fuse Its Worth
-M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Souls
-The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
-Museum Mouth - Tears in My Beer
-My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
-The Promise Ring - Nothing Feels Good
-Rancid - Life Won't Wait
-Say Hi - Impeccable Blahs
-Silversun Pickups - Swoon


No comments: